There are some great artisan pickles available these days. I’ve used a red cabbage sauerkraut which combines perfectly with roasted hazelnuts and Gruyère cheese.
MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
From Dish Magazine Issue #66
Recipe by Claire Aldous
Photography by Manja Wachsmuth
8 slices grain bread (I used Lewis Road)
16 thin slices salami of choice
1 cup Living Goodness Heartbeet Kraut
1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts
2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
• Preheat the oven to 160°C fan bake.
• Spread each slice of bread with butter, turn over and spread with mustard.
• Top with the salami, sauerkraut and hazelnuts then add the cheese.
• Sandwich with the remaining bread, buttered side up.
• Heat a sauté pan and cook both sides of the sandwiches until golden. Do this in batches if needed.
• Transfer to a lined baking tray and place in the oven for a few minutes to finish melting the cheese.
• Serve with extra mustard and eat whilst hot.