SWEETCORN & KIMCHI FRITTERS WITH MUNG BEAN SALAD
Fresh, clean flavours, as well as being speedy and easy to make, it’s a winner!
From My Food Bag 05/03/17
Recipe by Nadia Lim
Photography by Sarah Palmer
INGREDIENTS FOR FRITTERS
1 corn cob, husk and silk removed
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1/4 red onion, finely diced
75g Living Goodness Sum Yum Kimchi
1 handful spinach leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
INGREDIENTS FOR MUNG BEAN SALAD
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon chopped, roasted peanuts
Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1 packet mung bean sprouts, rinsed and drained well
1-2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce (optional)
• Heat a fry-pan on medium-high heat. Drizzle corn cob with olive oil and season. Sear for 8-10 minutes, until charred and tender, turning occasionally. When cool enough to handle, stand corn cob on its end, on a chopping board and use a knife to slice down to remove kernels. Set aside and reserve pan.
• Combine flour and baking powder together in a medium bowl, add milk and whisk into a smooth batter. Add half the cooked corn kernels (reserve other half) and all remaining fritter ingredients and mix to combine.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in reserved pan on medium heat. Scoop 1/4 cup measures of fritter mix into the pan and cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side, until golden brown and just cooked through. Set aside on paper towels, covered, to keep warm.
• While fritters cook, combine all mung bean salad ingredients (except mung bean sprouts) in a small bowl and set aside.
• Carefully wipe out pan with paper towels and return to medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Add mung beans and stir-fry for about 1 minute, until warmed through and starting to brown. Transfer to bowl with mung bean salad ingredients, along with reserved corn. Mix to combine and season to taste.
• Place sweetcorn and kimchi fritters onto a plate and serve mung bean salad on the side. Drizzle with any excess dressing and dollop with sweet chilli sauce (if using).