THE BEST VEGETABLE ROAST WITH CITRUS SAUERKRAUT SALAD
A delicious vegetarian winter roast with a healthy tangy salad on the side.
Recipe from crazy-cucumber.com
Photography by Crazy Cucumber
INGREDIENTS FOR ROAST
1 medium size swede, peeled
2 parsnips, peeled
1 carrot, peeled
700g (aprrox about 1.5 lbs) white and red baby potato (type of potato suitable for roasting), scrubbed
3 medium size kumara or sweet potato, scrubbed
Fennel bulb, roughly sliced
250g small tubers of oca (New Zealand yams) scrubbed
2 celery stalks, roughly sliced
2 garlic bulbs, cut horizontally in half
Handful of shallots, peeled
Small bunch of fresh thyme and rosemary
2 bay leaves
3 tablespoons high heat cooking oil like grapeseed, canola, sunflower oil /
or ghee butter can be used as a substitute
Ground black pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD
1 Large bulb of fennel, shaved
Big handful small tubers of yams thinly sliced
1/2 cup Living Goodness Heartbeet Kraut
1 sweet and crispy apple
Peeled segments of one orange (or two mandarins)
Handful of fresh or dried cranberries
Fennel leaves for garnish
INGREDIENTS – SALAD DRESSING
Juice of half orange
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon apple syrup (or maple syrup)
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F
• Cut parsnips, carrot, swede, and kumara into a big pieces about 3 cm size. Rinse and dry the unpeeled new potatoes and cut into halves.
• Combine all vegetables except garlic in the big bowl, drizzle with oil, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add bay leaves, thyme and rosemary leaves. Toss to coat.
• Tip the vegetables into the tray. Spread them out evenly into one layer – this is important, as you want them to roast, not steam as they will if you have them all on top of each other. Place garlic halves on the side, season and brush with oil.
• Roast vegetables stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until golden and crisp.
• While the vegetables are roasting use a vegetable peeler shave finely the fennel. Thinly slice into rounds washed tubers of oca. Combine all ingredients in the salad bowl.
• For salad dressing combine all ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix well using whisker. Pour over salad.
• Sprinkle salad with halved cranberries. Mix it all up and serve with the hot roast vegetables on the side.