APRICOT GLAZED PORK WITH KRAUT KALE AND SALAD
This succulent cut of meat lives up to its name, tenderloin because it’s exactly that – incredibly tender when cooked right. This glazed pork is perfectly paired with tangy Heartbeet Kraut and lemony kale. A delicious and healthy dish.
Recipe from crazy-cucumber.com
Photography by Crazy Cucumber
INGREDIENTS FOR PORK
1 free-range pork tenderloin (about 500g)
A few sprigs of fresh sage, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon cooking oil
INGREDIENTS FOR APRICOT GLAZE
3 tablespoon apricot preserve
1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
A few sprigs of sage
INGREDIENTS FOR KRAUT & KALE SALAD
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 big bunch of kale or one bag of baby kale
1 gala apple, sliced
½ cup pomegranate arils
¼ red onion, finely sliced
1 cup Living Goodness Heartbeet Kraut
INGREDIENTS FOR SALAD DRESSING
1 minced anchovy fillet
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard or Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon apple syrup or maple syrup
⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Lemon juice as taste
• Preheat oven to 200C, and line a baking sheet with a baking paper.
• Prepare pork loin by trimming excess fat; with a small knife, create deep small slits throughout the loin, and stuff with the 2 cloves of chopped garlic.
• Rub the loin with chopped sage, salt, and black pepper.
• Heat a tablespoon of oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the pork tenderloin and cook a few minutes each side, turning occasionally, until golden-brown. Transfer to a baking tray
• Roast for about 8 minutes or until an internal meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 60-70C (140-145F). The key to perfection is knowing exactly how long to cook pork tenderloin when the centres a little pink and not to overcook it!
• Transfer the pork to a large plate and cover with aluminium foil.
• Let rest about 10 minutes.
• Place the skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add apricot preserve, Tamari sauce, sage leaves and any pork juices into the skillet, stir well. When the mix thickens into a syrupy glaze, add the pork.
• Place the pork in the skillet and coat with the sauce.
• Transfer the pork to a serving platter and pour the glaze over the top. Let rest for 5 minutes.
• Cut the pork crosswise into slices.
METHOD FOR KRAUT & KALE SALAD
• Whisk all the ingredients for dressing together in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
• Remove hard stem from leaves of kale. Tear the leaves into small pieces and add in a large bowl with dressing.
• Massage the kale for about 2 minutes. This help to soften it and make it more palatable. It should start to turn a rich, greener color.
• Arrange kale on a serving platter and top with quinoa, red onion, apples, Heartbeet Kraut, pomegranate and warm sliced pork.
• Garnish with pink peppercorns.