ASIAN BEEF NOODLE BOWL
With a wedge of lemon served on the side, this Asian noodle bowl is super healthy and packed full of flavour.
From My Food Bag 29/10/17
Recipe by Nadia Lim (My Food Bag)
Photography by Sarah Palmer
INGREDIENTS – ASIAN BEEF
• 500g lean ground beef
• 1 tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 egg
• 1 ½ tablespoons cornflour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• Asian spice mix
INGREDIENTS – SLAW
• 100g mung bean vermicelli
• 1 bag Japanese slaw
INGREDIENTS – SLAW DRESSING
• 2 cloves garlic minced
• Lime ponzu dressing
• 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
• Zest of 1/2 to 1 lemon
• Juice of 1/2 lemon
• 1/2 teaspoon runny honey
• 2 teaspoons chopped roasted peanuts
• 1 tablespoon water
INGREDIENTS – OTHER
• Living Goodness Sum Yum Kimchi
• Lemon Wedges
• Preheat oven to 220°C.
• Bring a full kettle to the boil.
• Line an oven tray with baking paper. In a medium bowl, combine all Asian beef ingredients and mix together well.
• Place beef mixture on prepared tray and place another sheet of baking paper on top of the meat. Push down on the paper to flatten the beef out to about 0.5cm-thick.
• Remove top layer of baking paper and bake beef for 10-12 minutes, until it starts to get golden around the edges and beef is cooked through.
• Set beef aside to cool for about 1 minute. Once cool enough to handle, carefully remove beef from tray, cut in half lengthways and thinly slice 1cm.
• While beef is cooking and cooling, make the slaw dressing. Add all slaw dressing ingredients to a medium bowl, stir well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Place vermicelli in a large, heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave to soak for about 4 minutes, until tender, then drain. Use kitchen scissors to snip in a few places.
• Toss vermicelli, Japanese slaw and half the slaw dressing in reserved bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Toss cooked and sliced Asian beef through remaining slaw dressing.
• Spoon vermicelli slaw into bowls, along with Asian beef, Sum Yum Kimchi and spinach. Squeeze over lemon wedges.