GREEN RICE WITH HEARTBEET KRAUT SEASONING
A nice twist on a plain rice dish. Try this healthy and delicious recipe inspired by the Mexican dish 'arroz verde'.
Recipe from crazy-cucumber.com
Photography by Crazy Cucumber
• 1 ½ cups Thai long grain rice rinsed and drained
• 2 cups tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves
• 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
• 4 asparagus stems cut on a diagonale
• Small bunch of coriander
• Small bunch of parsley
• 1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 tablespoon ghee butter (or good quality butter)
• 1 ½ cup chicken stock
• 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
• Living Goodness Freeze-Dried Heartbeet Kraut
• Put the coriander, parsley, spinach, and chicken stock in a blender and blend until the vegetables are puréed.
• Add salt and blend a bit more until well combined.
• In a medium heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (but not brown), stirring constantly.
• Add the rice and sauté until it just begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the contents of the blender, stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
• Cover the pan with a lid, turn the heat to very low, cook until almost all liquid evaporated.
• Add green peas and chopped asparagus, stir the rice carefully to avoid crushing it, cover, and cook another 5 minutes.
• Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the covered pot for 10 minutes.
• Serve green rice warm, topped with Living Goodness Freeze-Dried Heartbeet Kraut and garnished with pea shoots.