GREEN RICE WITH HEARTBEET KRAUT SEASONING
A nice twist on a plain rice dish. Try this healthy and delicious recipe inspired by the Mexican dish 'arroz verde'.
Recipe from crazy-cucumber.com
Photography by Crazy Cucumber
1 ½ cups Thai long grain rice rinsed and drained
2 cups tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
4 asparagus stems cut on a diagonale
Small bunch of coriander
Small bunch of parsley
1 garlic clove, crushed and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ghee butter (or good quality butter)
1 ½ cup free-range chicken stock
½ teaspoon fine salt
Living Goodness Freeze-Dried Heartbeet Kraut
• Put the coriander, parsley, spinach, and chicken stock in a blender and blend until the vegetables are puréed.
• Add salt and blend a bit more until well combined.
• In a medium heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted add the onion and garlic and cook until soft (but not brown), stirring constantly.
• Add the rice and sauté until it just begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Add the contents of the blender, stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
• Cover the pan with a lid, turn the heat to very low, cook until almost all liquid evaporated.
• Add green peas and chopped asparagus, stir the rice carefully to avoid crushing it, cover and cook another 5 minutes.
• Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the covered pot for 10 minutes.
• Serve green rice warm, topped with Living Goodness Freeze-Dried Heartbeet Kraut and garnish with pea shoots.