LEAN BEEF PARSNIP, CAULI AND KALE COLCANNON WITH HEARTBEET KRAUT(GF)
A healthy twist on the traditional Irish dish Colcannon, which replaces the potatoes with cauliflower. Served with a side of lean beef, this dish is a delicious low carb meal.
From My Food Bag 02/07/17
Recipe by Nadia Lim
Photography by Sarah Palmer
550g free-range or pasture fed lean beef bistro steaks
(eye or rump) at room temperature
3 parsnips, peeled and diced 2-3cm
½ head cauliflower, roughly cut into florets
1 teaspoon oil for vegetables (or use spray oil)
1 teaspoon oil for steak (or use spray oil)
½ bunch curly kale
1-2 spring onions, thinly sliced
Living Goodness Heartbeet Kraut
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon water
½ teaspoon salt
• Cook parsnips and cauliflower in pot of boiling water for about 15 minutes, until parsnips are soft. Drain well.
• While parsnips and cauliflower are cooking, heat first measure of oil in a large fry-pan on high heat. Remove tough central stalks from kale (discard stalks) and very thinly slice leaves.
• Add kale, garlic and a pinch of salt to pan and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Add water and toss to steam kale, for a further 30 seconds, until wilted.
• Remove from pan and set aside. Wipe pan clean with paper towels and return to high heat.
• While pan heats, season beef with salt and pepper and rub in second measure of oil. Cook beef for about 3 minutes each side for medium (depending on thickness), or until cooked to your liking.
• Set aside, covered with foil, to rest for 2-3 mins before slicing thinly against the grain.
• Mash parsnips and cauliflower with salt. Stir through kale, garlic and spring onions, until combined. Season to taste with pepper.
• Place cauli and kale colcannon onto plate with sliced lean beef, sprinkle with Heartbeet Kraut and crumbled feta. Delicious!