A quick fix for lunch or a snack, the Reuben is the perfect balance of dense bread, tart sauerkraut, melted cheese and tender pastrami.
MAKES 4 SANDWICHES
From Dish Magazine Issue #62
Recipe by Claire Aldous
Photography by Manja Wachsmuth
8 slices rye bread or sourdough bread
Butter for spreading
200 grams gruyère cheese, thinly sliced
300 grams pastrami
1 cup well drained Living Goodness Heartbeet or Sassy Kraut
• Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
• Butter one side of each slice of bread.
• Spread the unbuttered sides generously with mustard.
• Top the mustard side of four slices of the bread with half the cheese.
• Add all of the sauerkraut then the pastrami then the remaining cheese.
• Sandwich with the remaining bread, buttered side up.
• Heat a sauté pan and cook the sandwiches in batches until lightly golden on each side. Transfer to a lined baking tray as they are done.
• Place in the oven and bake until the filling is hot and the cheese is melting.
• Cut in half and serve with the gherkins on the side.