TOFU & EXOTIC MUSHROOM BIBIMBAP
Exotic Korean flavours inspire this delicious and healthy vegetarian dish.
From My Food Bag 21/02/16
Recipe by Nadia Lim
Photography by Sarah Palmer
INGREDIENTS FOR TOFU AND VEGETABLES
¾ cup Japanese brown rice
1 ¼ cups water
INGREDIENTS FOR BROWN RICE
100g exotic mushroom medley mix
300g firm tofu
⅔ bag baby spinach leaves
1 teaspoon sesame oil
½ teaspoon soy or tamari sauce
INGREDIENTS FOR BIBIMPAP GLAZE
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons sweet chilli sauce
2 tablespoons water
2 free-range eggs
½ avocado, sliced
¼ cup Living Goodness Sum Yum Kimchi
Dash of chilli sauce (optional)
• Combine rice, water and a good pinch of salt in a small pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes. Do not lift lid at any time during cooking.
• While rice is cooking, prepare rest of the meal. Peel carrot and cut into thin matchsticks; slice mushrooms; set aside. In a small bowl, mix all bibimbap glaze ingredients together.
• Pat tofu dry with paper towels and dice 1-2 cm. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large fry-pan (preferably non-stick) on medium to high heat. Cook tofu for 4-5 minutes, turning often until golden. Reduce heat to low and add bibimbap glaze. While it bubbles and reduces, toss tofu to coat.
• Remove from heat, set tofu aside in a bowl and keep warm. Wipe pan clean with a paper towel.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in same fry-pan. Add mushrooms and carrots and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are soft. Add spinach, sesame oil and soy sauce and toss together until spinach is wilted.
• In a separate medium, non-stick, fry-pan, heat a drizzle of oil on medium heat. Carefully crack in eggs and fry for about 3 minutes until white is set, but yolk is still runny. You could add 2 tablespoons water to pan and cover with a lid to help eggs cook through, if desired.
Spoon ¾ cup cooked rice per person into bowls and top with glazed tofu, vegetables and a fried egg. Serve with avocado, a dollop of Sum Yum Kimchi and chilli sauce.