TURMERIC TOFU NOURISH BOWL
Nourishing bowls of vegetables & grains are the best way to get your nutrients any time of the year. This amazing Bali-inspired turmeric tofu bowl will feed your body and fill the soul.
Recipe from crazy-cucumber.com
Photography by Crazy Cucumber
INGREDIENTS FOR TOFU
250g firm tofu, drained
1 cup warm coconut milk
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
2 lemongrass stalks, white part only
2 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves
Ginger – 3cm piece
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Coconut oil for frying
Red chilli (optional)
INGREDIENTS FOR AVOCADO SAUCE
2 ripe avocado
½ cup chopped coriander leaves
1 teaspsoon lime juice
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of cayenne pepper powder
INGREDIENTS FOR THE REST OF THE DISH
Cooked mixed rice
Lightly steamed broccoli
Living Goodness Heartbeet Kraut
Snow pea shoots
Toasted sesame seeds
METHOD FOR TOFU
• For best result drain the tofu for at least a half hour. Drained tofu absorbs more sauce and will have a richer taste. Place the block of tofu in a colander on a few layers of paper towel use a colander with a flat bottom. Place a small flat plate and something heavy on top of the tofu. Place the colander over a bowl or pot to capture any liquid.
• Place ginger, garlic, chilli, lemongrass, salt and spices in a food processor or blender. Blend ingredients to a smooth paste. Add some coconut milk if the mix is too dry.
• Cut the tofu into 2-3 cm chunks. In a shallow dish, combine warm coconut milk with curry paste and kaffir lime leaves, mix well. Add tofu and ensure that it`s evenly coated. Marinate tofu for a few hours or overnight.
• Heat 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove tofu from marinade and fry until the liquid has evaporated, turning occasionally to golden-brown all sides. Remove from heat and set aside.
METHOD FOR AVOCADO SAUCE
• Combine all ingredients in a blender and mix well until smooth. If the mixture is too thick slowly add some water or lime juice until it reaches the preferred taste and consistency.
• Place quinoa and rice mix in the middle of the bowl, then add turmeric tofu, steamed broccoli and Heartbeet Kraut.
• Drizzle the bowl with avocado sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Garnish with snow pea shoots.