HALLOUMI AND SAUERKRAUT QUESADILLAS
Perfect lunch or light dinner. So not your average quesadillas. Enjoy!
From My Food Bag 03/09/17
Recipe by Nadia Lim
Photography by Sarah Palmer
INGREDIENTS FOR QUESADILLAS
1 tomato, finely diced
100g Living Goodness Naked Sauerkraut
200g veggie halloumi cheese, grated
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
1-2 spring onions, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
1 handful baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
4 wheat meal wraps
1 tablespoon olive oil
40g veggie tomato relish
INGREDIENTS FOR RADISH SALAD
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 handfuls baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
½ pack radishes, ends trimmed and thinly sliced
1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
1 spring onion, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
• Preheat oven to 180°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine tomato, sauerkraut, halloumi, sweet chilli sauce and first measures of spring onion and spinach in a medium bowl. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix to combine.
• Lay wraps out flat on a clean bench. Divide halloumi mixture over one half of each wrap. Fold wrap over to enclose filling, forming a half-round shape. Press edges down firmly to seal. Brush the top of each quesadilla with a little of the olive oil.
• Heat a large, dry fry-pan on low-medium heat. Cook quesadillas, two at a time (oiled-side-down), for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Brush the non-oiled side with a little of the oil then carefully flip over. Cook a further 2-3 minutes, until golden and cheese has begun to melt. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
• Transfer quesadillas to prepared tray to warm in oven for 6-8 minutes. Let tortillas sit outside of the oven for a few minutes before cutting into 2-3 wedges.
• While quesadillas bake, whisk vinegar and oil together in a medium bowl. Add all remaining radish salad ingredients to bowl with dressing, season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
• To serve, divide radish salad and wedges of halloumi sauerkraut quesadillas between plates. Dollop quesadillas with a little tomato relish.