SPICY TERIYAKI CHICKEN SUSHI (GF)
Who doesn’t love sushi?! This homemade version is super easy to make and is a great dish to have on hand for all occassions – be it dinner, party snacks or school lunch boxes.
Recipe from Nadia Eves
Photography by Nadia Eves
INGREDIENTS FOR TERIYAKI CHICKEN
2 large free-range chicken breasts
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
3 tablespoons tamari sauce (contains no gluten)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
INGREDIENTS FOR SUSHI ROLLS
2 cups of dry sushi rice, rice wine vinegar & sugar
– see packet instructions for cooking
1 red capsicum deseeded & sliced thinly
1 avocado sliced
Living Goodness Quick Draw Slaw Sauerkraut
• Cut chicken into 2cm wide strips and combine in a large bowl with all the teriyaki ingredients. Cover and allow to marinade in the fridge for at least an hour.
• Heat a large frying pan and cook the marinated chicken on medium until cooked through.
• Remove chicken and leave the juices in the pan. Turn the pan up to a high heat and reduce the sauce by half the volume then add the chicken back in to coat.
• Prepare 2 cups of sushi rice according to your packets instructions.
• Allow the chicken and rice to completely cool before constructing the rolls.
• Place a nori sheet on a sushi rolling mat.
• Put a quarter of the rice on the sheet and spread evenly over ¾ of the nori.
• Place capsicum, avocado and Quick Draw Slaw in a line down the middle of the rice. Lift the end closest to you and roll the sushi into a tight roll (YouTube for technique), wet the end of the nori to seal the roll.
• Repeat this process four times until you have four rolls.
• With a sharp knife cut each roll into 5-6 pieces.
• Top with some wasabi, pickled ginger, tamari sauce and more slaw if desired.